The eco-trends in home design that have dominated the past few years are in no hurry to give way. Designers of 2021 offer fashionable interiors in the style of sophisticated comfort and warm coziness. But this does not mean that you will have to completely abandon changes and cultural shifts. Pay attention to bold novelties that will help make the interior even more comfortable and functional.
Environmental friendliness. The urban environment in which most of us live and work causes an acute shortage of the feeling of merging with nature. That is why the demand for eco-concepts in the interior is growing – they help to join the naturalness through certain colors and textures in the decoration. The following are actively being introduced into the home environment:
- natural wood;
- natural stone;
- groups of green plants;
- decorative elements from bamboo and rattan;
- multi-level lighting systems.
Everything that somehow reminds of nature will be at the peak of popularity in 2021.
Personalization. The interior, “tailored” to the needs of a particular family or even an individual, is fashionable and practical. Personalization helps to:
- custom built-in furniture;
- soft headsets according to customer measurements;
- individual decoration using frescoes, mosaics, designer carpets;
- murals with images of family members;
- designer lights and other decorative “chips”.
Integrated interiors. The traditional separation of public areas is irrevocably a thing of the past. Flexible work schedules and digitalization allow many employees to work at home. Therefore, there is a need for new solutions to integrate the work area into the living space. The kitchen, combined with the living room and dining room, now you will not surprise anyone. Therefore, designers have gone even further – they offer flexible, hidden and movable furniture designs to achieve a neat and clear design. In a small studio apartment, it is now possible to combine a study, relaxation area, library and kitchen, think over corners for storing things and placing equipment.
Softness of forms. Developing towards the most comfortable environment for humans, the forms of the basic elements of furniture are evolving. Straight, clearly defined lines disappear, and they are replaced by smooth bends, soft edges and wavy shapes. Classic furniture sets come to the fore, in which there are elements of innovation. We are talking about additional functionality – built-in shelves, bar compartments, wide wooden armrests resembling countertops.
The first step towards creating a harmonious living space will be the choice of style in which the apartment or separate room will be decorated. Styles will become a determining factor in the choice of finishing materials, furniture, textiles, decor elements and lighting systems. The desire for naturalness brings eco-style to the forefront with an abundance of natural materials, greenery and a palette of natural shades. But it is worth paying attention to a few more directions that will be popular in the upcoming season.
A mixture of Nordic and Eastern styles allows you to take the best features of both directions and introduce them into a modern home. Such an eclectic solution is characterized by:
- functionality – folding furniture, dynamic modules and partitions;
- simplicity of forms – pretentiousness reminiscent of baroque and rococo is not acceptable;
- natural color palette with dot bright accents;
- plain textured textiles – curtains, upholstery on upholstered furniture, pillows;
- minimum decor.
Unlike the Scandinavian trend, which gravitates towards a clean, almost snow-white gamut, the oriental style introduces a warm palette – with it the interior looks more comfortable and welcoming.
Natural materials are also welcomed in this style, but artificial ones are also allowed. The main thing is that their combination is harmonious. The interior can safely borrow the trends of the Scandinavian, Japanese styles, eco and high-tech elements.
Recognizable features of a minimalistic direction:
- maximum free space – there are practically no partitions;
- large panoramic windows that let in a lot of light;
- thoughtful lighting systems that allow you to achieve volume even in a small apartment;
- furniture with simple geometry without elaborate configurations and complex decor;
- horizontal or vertical blinds as an alternative to fabric curtains;
- plain walls and ceiling.
Since an open hybrid layout is now in vogue, the loft interior will be more appropriate than ever in modern apartments, especially small studios. It sometimes causes conflicting impressions, but freedom-loving creative personalities are increasingly choosing loft interiors.
Distinctive features of the industrial area:
- single space with zoning elements;
- deliberately rough interior decoration – there are areas with masonry, careless plaster, gray concrete;
- open communications – massive beams, metal structures, pipelines, electrical wiring are displayed
- huge open windows without curtains and other furniture;
- a combination of antiques and innovative designer jewelry;
- graffiti, unusual paintings, collages, abstractions are welcome from the decor.
Such apartments should cause associations with the factory floor, where communications become part of the composition, and in the setting all the geometric features of the apartment are taken into account.
Each of the listed styles is characterized by its own palette. But in the new season, designers offer to pay attention to several interesting shades that will be at the peak of popularity.
Brick color with orange, ocher, reddish and brown spots will be in demand for furniture and accessories. Facing a kitchen apron, countertops, leather sofas, flower pots, coffee tables and soft pillows – terracotta should be found as often as possible. In a mixed Japanese style, this shade can be used as bright stylistic spots.
The shade of “calm dawn” is designed to evoke a sense of serenity, to give peace and harmony – what else is needed after a busy working day ?! Indoors, it is recommended to use it as an alternative to white for decorating the ceiling, walls, surfaces of wood. If you want to create a warm interior, combine “heavenly mint” with sand, coffee, pink-gray, ocher, terracotta. Want to bring some coolness to your setting? Take a closer look at the combinations of mint with smoky, light sky, dark green, gray-blue.
A deep, vibrant color has been styled by Graham & Brown, a trendsetter in premium finishes. The shade called “Adeline” has excellent aesthetic properties – versatility, naturalness and novelty. Bottle green color looks especially noble in conjunction with metal, harmoniously blending with the loft and minimalism styles.
This design option was proposed by Pantone specialists, who annually develop trend color schemes. The bleached blue color combines neutrality of gray and creativity of white tones. It goes well with dark wood, warm beige, cool pink and green shades. Light gray can be used both for interior decoration and for decorating furniture with decor.
In the photo of modern interiors, one can increasingly see shades of mustard from a warm, mundane palette. In the form of an unobtrusive background, it is recommended to use it in the kitchen interior – non-marking walls and furniture in the style of Mellow Yellow will be very practical. In the bedroom, study or living room, the mustard shade can be an interesting accent, repeating itself in furniture upholstery, rugs, flowerpots or pillows. Furniture, designed in such a range, looks aristocratic, giving the space a highlight. Designers balance the color of mustard with chocolate, white and gray tones – a similar combination will be at the peak of popularity.
Modern design trends will be boring if you leave them without a twist that gives individuality and expressiveness to the living space. Here are some fashionable solutions relevant to the interiors of 2021:
- “Hide, if you can” – the trend is relevant in the kitchen, where designers try to veil the details as much as possible and free up space. For this purpose, sliding panels, hidden niches and mobile structures are used.
- Touch to open is a trend characterized by the absence of handles with the possibility of tactile opening of facades. If it is not possible to completely free the interior of the handles, their number is reduced to a minimum.
- Four-poster bedrooms are not new, but a trendy solution will be appropriate in large apartments, where you do not have to save every centimeter. The velvet canopy will look especially elegant and stylish. It is combined with curtains, upholstery on chairs and pillows made of velvet.
- Marble in the kitchen – even an imitation of this material will look expensive and elegant. An apron, a countertop, a monolithic island, a bar counter – these are the areas of application of marble.
- Leather sofas and armchairs – this trend has never gone out of fashion, but in the 2021 season you can not do without it. Luxurious, soft Chesterfield style headsets fit perfectly into the loft environment, displacing models from synthetic analogs and textiles. Leather furniture in the living room will become the center of interior composition, a mini-sofa will be appropriate in the office, and in the bedroom – an elegant armchair by the ladies’ table.
- Mirror inserts. Reflective surfaces add volume and depth to the space, visually expanding small dwellings. In the small bedrooms, wardrobes are installed up to the ceiling, large dining tables are equipped with mirror countertops, and the living room can be decorated with creative panels with mirror inserts.
- Optimized decor. The combination of intelligent technology and modern interior significantly improves the quality of life and facilitates life. Bedside tables with built-in chargers, speakers with lamp function, sofas with memory effect – these are just a few high-tech options.
- Bed on the platform. Developers equip such a design with built-in drawers, lights, open shelves and even a small staircase. Today, podiums have ceased to be attributes of exclusively small-sized housing – owners of spacious dwellings should also take a closer look at this engineering solution.
Using interesting design findings and design techniques, the fashionable interior of 2021 can be created on any square. For small apartments, it is most reasonable to use hybrid techniques for organizing space and multifunctional furniture. In spacious dwellings, it is worthwhile to focus on comfort with the help of warm colors and luxurious upholstered furniture.